Friday, August 1, 2008

July Trip Part 1

In July, when my dad and brother were still here, I was unexpectedly (and at the last minute) invited to go on a road trip with them and my aunt and uncle to the central part of Peru. Our main destinations were the jungle cites of Oxapampa and Pozuzo, but we stopped in many different pueblos (towns) along the way.
After seeing the jungle, we headed to the mountains, to city of Huancayo and its neighboring towns.
One of the things that most impacted me about this trip was the scarcity of Christian churches in all the areas that we stayed in or passed by. With the exception of Huancayo, which is a big city with much religious diversity, I could only find Pentecostal churches--about 1 in every 3 towns. Whereas in almost every town and every city I saw a Mormon temple, a Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall, and, of course, a Roman Catholic cathedral.
Pretty sad. The need is great--please pray for laborers!
...



In order to reach the jungle we had to cross the mountains.



Ticlio--the highest railroad pass in the world



The city of Tarma

The jungle begins here


La Merced










CONTINUED...

No comments: