Thursday, May 15, 2008

Renewed

"The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that wins souls is wise."
Proverbs 11:30

One morning in April I sought the Lord in prayer. I had been fed up with my lack of zeal for the lost, and had purposed in my heart to try to witness to at least one person a day. Evangelism on Saturdays just wasn't cutting it--the fire was slowly fading and I needed to get my focus back on eternity. It's great to deliberately go out once a week to witness to people, but what about those I encountered the rest of the week? Sometimes I would be so wrapped up in my own things that I would forget that the people that walked past me in the streets and sat next to me in buses were precious souls headed for one of two eternal destinations.
Another reason I decided to do this was because I was about to start the evangelism classes and didn't want to be a hypocrite, telling others to preach the Gospel at every opportunity when I wasn't doing it myself.
So that morning in prayer I asked God to give me the strength and boldness to be able to carry this out, and to open many doors for me.

...Well, it's been a month since I started, and to be honest I haven't been able to do it every day. But the days that I have, the Lord has anwered my prayers in helping me stand up boldly for Him, handing out tracts wherever I go and approaching strangers and witnessing to them. Sometimes I've been tired, and many times I've been nervous, but God has always been faithful to help me. And many of the encounters I've had have been from the Lord, people with hearts prepared to hear the Gospel.

And these last four weeks have also been an answer to prayer in that God has opened up more doors for me to go witnessing. A couple weeks ago the Lord provided me with some money and I bought an amplifier and microphone for open air preaching. Several times this month a few fellow laborers and I have been able to go to the market of Gamarra in the center of Lima. It's a huge shopping center with dozens of closed-off streets and TONS of people, which is perfect for evangelism. I love it.
Again--many great witnessing encounters.

There are so many stories to share...I'll put some up later when I get a chance.

Well...through all this God has once again reminded me that He rewards those who step out in faith. Even though I was serving Him full-time, I was growing colder, busy with "ministry." But now He's renewed me with a zeal and a hunger for souls, and most of all, for the glory of His Gospel.

I close with the following inspiring quotes:

"Brethren, do something; do something, do something! While societies and unions make constitutions, let us win souls. I pray you, be men of action all of you. Get to work and quit yourselves like men. Old Suvarov's idea of war is mine: `Forward and strike! No theory! Attack! Form a column! Charge bayonets! Plunge into the center of the enemy! Our one aim is to win souls; and this we are not to talk about, but do in the power of God!'"
Charles Spurgeon

"You have nothing to do but to save souls. Therefore spend and be spent in this work. And go not only to those that need you, but to those that need you most...It is not your business to preach so many times, and to take care of this or that society; but to save as many souls as you can; to bring as many sinners as you possibly can to repentance.”
John Wesley

No comments: